Vanessa Maria Mirza
A choreographer, visual artist, researcher and curator based in Kolkata.
Vanessa is a choreographer, visual artist, researcher and curator based in Kolkata.
- Her recent choreographic works include ‘Dream Realms’, ‘Under Face’, ‘I Do Care About You’,‘Her Song’. ‘Somebody’ and ‘Why Not’. Her choreography has been performed in Taiwan and India.
- She is the Founder and Artistic Director of Dance Bridges Festival, a biennial international dance festival – with its next edition taking place in August 2019 – showcasing cutting-edge contemporary choreography. She was invited as an international delegate to represent Dance Bridges Festival at international forums for artists and producers including the British Dance Edition 2016 in Cardiff -UK, TPAM 2017-Performing Arts Meeting in Yokohama and American Dance Recon 2017.
- As a Chin-Lin Foundation for Culture & Arts Scholarship recipient she has trained at Taipei National University of the Arts in the Master of Fine Arts (Choreography) program between 2008-2010 and 2011-2013. Her dance training includes studies in modern dance, ballet, contemporary dance, jazz, contact improvisation, tai chi, flamenco, martial arts and Balinese dance. She has worked closely with international choreographers: Ming Lung Yang (USA/Taiwan), Hsiao Mei Ho (Taiwan), Graeme Collins (Australia) and performed in works by Sheenru Yong (Taiwan/USA), Leng Poh Gee (Malaysia), I-Fen Tung (Taiwan) & Rebekah Lind (USA). Additionally she has attended masterclasses at London School of Contemporary Dance (The Place, UK), Hong Kong Dance Festival, Taipeidea Festival (Taipei, Taiwan) & CNDC (Angers, France).
- Since 2004, she has taught and choreographed for a number of concerts and dance events for Rhythmosaic Dance Institute, La Martinere for Girl’s School, Modern High School for Girls’, Don Bosco School (Park Circus), Assembly of God Church, Charisma House, Park English School & Calcutta Girl’s School. She has taught workshops at The Doodle Room, Calcutta School of Music, St. Xavier’s College, Loretto College, The Creative Arts (TCA), Project Rescue and Stars Welfare Society, Buoyant Performing Arts.
- She has worked with Rhythmosaic Dance Company as Faculty for Choreography Studies for their one year certificate course program from 2013-2017. She teaches regular classes at The Doodle Room and collaborates in dance/arts projects with locally based practitioners and international artists. Vanessa also holds a Bachelor’s in Business Administration from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata. As a visual artist she has had solo/group exhibitions at Taj Bengal Hotel & Mirage Art Gallery and has worked as Visual Arts Director with Chaitown Creatives between 2015-2016.